French Onion Soup
I love french onion soup! I've seen a few keto adaptations, but most are still high in carbs. I use onions--but also fill the soup with celery to lower the carb count. I can't tell the difference and it tastes amazing!
Takes 1.5 hours to cook. Makes 8 servings at 5-6 net carbs a serving (will depend on how big your onions are, I used medium sized onions)
- 6-8 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (earth balance works great)
- 3 onions, thinly sliced (you can do 1 yellow, 1 sweet and 1 red, or 3 of the same)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 64 oz beef broth (two cartons)
- 2 tsp thyme, dried (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- 4-5 bay leafs
- salt and pepper to taste (I used a pinch of both)
Steam your onions in the "butter" for 30 minutes, covered. Do not let them burn, I do this on low heat. Now uncover pan and add your celery; raise the heat and cook for 30-40 more minutes until onions are nicely translucently browned but not burned--watch it and stir as needed for this part. Once onions are cooked add in rest of the ingredients and once again cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with a low carb vegan cheese option if you can find one! Makes 8 servings at 5 net carbs a serving.